Friday, August 26, 2011

Generation 1 Chapter 10: Amani Vista

 
“Honey,” I called, absent-mindedly caressing my stomach, “We’re going to need to find someone to watch the kids while we go to the ultrasound this afternoon.”
“Why not call Albany? We always do,” Concord answered.
“She’s out of town at a business convention.”
“How about your parents, then?”
“You’re joking, right?”
“Well who do you suggest?”
I sighed, “Brock?”

 
“I want Auntie Albany!” Bee squealed. Her small frame emerged from her bedroom, and she promptly stood in front of us. My, she’d gotten so big over the years… My first born was already in kindergarten! Where has the time gone?
Be thankful, my subconscious reminded myself. If she hadn’t gotten older, Concord would’ve never agreed to another little one.  

 
“I know, Sweetie, but Auntie Albany’s away for work. So she can’t come,” I explained as she pouted.
“Amani, you know I don’t like that guy,” Concord stated, returning to our previous conversation.
“I know, Concord. But who else do we have? It’s not like we have an endless supply of friends to pick from.”
“Fine,” he mumbled.  

 
As the day progressed and our appointment neared, Concord was growing increasingly antsy about meeting up with Brock again. We both were, to be honest, after that whole engagement incident…
“You can go wait in the car, if you want to,” I suggested with a smile.
“Are you sure?” he questioned, evidently excited by the mere thought of it.
“Yeah, I’ll be quick with Brock. Promise.”
“Okay, I’ll see you in a few, then.”

 
Minutes later, the doorbell chimed, and Bee accompanied me in welcoming her babysitter.
“Amani,” Brock grinned, “It’s been so long.”
“Too long,” I agreed. “Thanks for coming on such short notice.”

“No problem,” he declared, stepping into our humble abode.

 
Once I finished introducing the girls and explaining the necessities, Bee enveloped me in a bear hug on my way out the door.
“Don’t go, Mommy,” she whispered in my ear. “I don’t like him.”
I stroked her hair and pleaded, “Just give him a chance, Sweetie.”

 
*   *   *   *   *

As her mother retreated into the car, Bee quickly huddled into her bedroom where her sister, Amanda, sat playing with her doll.
“I hope Mom comes back soon,” Bee confessed, picking Tubby up from where she’d last played with him on the floor.  
Time dragged by as the girls sat playing with their toys, making up imaginary scenarios to act out with their dolls. They two youngsters were completely oblivious to the man standing by the door, watching every move they made.

 
“You certainly know how to keep yourself busy,” Brock remarked, slowly walking closer to where they girls were playing.
Bee jumped, startled by the sitter’s sudden presence. “Um, yeah,” she answered. “We like to play with our friends a lot.” Maybe it was the way he was approaching them, but Bee didn’t feel as if the man was one to be trusted. She grabbed her younger sister and brought her close, not wanting to see the man hurt either of them.  

 
“Friends?” Brock scoffed. “Those rag dolls aren’t real, they can’t be your friends!”
“Take that back!” Bee demanded. “Tubby is too real!”
“Pwuzzle, twoo,” Amanda defended. 
“Such idiotic little brats!” Brock exclaimed. “But that’s to be expected from a girl as stupid as you, Bee. With your learning disability and all…” A tormenting smile spread across his face.

 
“All that means is I think things differently than everyone else!” Bee insisted, blinking back tears.
“Aw, is that what your Mommy told you?” Brock inquired, fake compassion ringing in his voice.
“Daddy too…”
“Well your wicked mother’s a liar! And your dad-!” Brock paused, an evil sparkle twinkling in his eye. “Your dad has been lying to you since the day you were born.”

 
“…What are you talking about…?” Bee whispered.
“I suppose Amani- your mother- has been hiding that from you, too.  Concord isn’t even your real father, that’s just what your parents want you to think. Morals, or come crap like that. I… Now, I’m your real father. The father of both you twerps, unfortunately,” Brock lied effortlessly.

 
“No! You’re the liar! There is no way you could ever be my father!” Bee spat.
Brock swung his hand across the child’s face, “Don’t ever use that tone with your father again! You understand?” The girl simply nodded. 

10 comments:

  1. I was right, Brock is evil....wish he would just leave Amani and her perfectly happy family alone.
    Can someone please kill him in the next chapter?
    Poor Bee... D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Brock's definitely not a good guy... XD
    There are a few people on the thread who have already ordered him dead... ;D
    I know, I felt awful for Bee! D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brock is evil! If anyone should kill him it should be the imaginary friends! That will show him how real they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be so ammusing... XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROAOOOOOARRRUJFGVKWDJFG! *stabs Brock repeatedly with a spoon*

    ReplyDelete
  6. XD
    Somebody dislikes Brock... XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. What the heck!!! Why is he such a butt? I hope the girls say something to their mom when she gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Brock's quite the character... XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG what a psycho he has turned out to be :( and I kind of liked him at first, oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's what happened with a lot of people. XD
    He's a creeper, that's for sure...

    ReplyDelete