Sunday, July 24, 2011

Generation 1 Prologue: Amani Vista


“Miss Vista,” Dr. Fischer looked solemnly into my eyes before continuing with his movie-like speech, “I regret to inform you that you have been diagnosed with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, more commonly known as OCD.” Mom gasped, and Dad instantly put a comforting arm around her, cooing words of consolation.
“Tell me something I don’t know,” I mumbled, picking a piece of lint off of my freshly pressed shirt.
“This is no joking matter, Amani!” Mom shrieked from behind me. Sheesh, you would’ve thought the doctor just told me I had one week to live based on her reaction…


“Now, for treatment I was thinking-” Ugh, I hate how he acts like I’m just another situation in one of his college textbooks!
“Actually, I think I’m comfortable living with my disorder,” I stated proudly.
Mom sniffled, wiping her eyes with a Kleenex. “What did you just say?”
“I don’t want treatment, Mum.”
“What?! That’s crazy! Amani, we’ve raised you much better than that! Besides, it’s up to us, we’re your parents.” A smug smile spread across her face as she proved her point.   


“Actually, Mrs. Vista, it’s up to Amani. With her birthday being last week, she’s officially an adult and the law states that she is now allowed to make these types of decisions,” Dr. Fischer piped up, assisting my point of view beautifully. “It would be different, however, if her life was in danger. But with her form of the disease, she should be capable of living as close to a normal life as possible.”
“But we’re her parents! That’s got to count for something!” Dad chimed in.
“You can beg and plead all you want Mr. Vista, but Amani has the final say with what she does here.”   


Three pairs of eyes simultaneously settled on me. “I’m fine guys, really. I’ve been dealing with it for all these years; I can handle it for however long I need to.” Knowing my decision had minimal chance of being swayed; I stood up from the cushioned chair and grabbed my Coach purse. 
“Alrighty then, I’ll just cancel the prescription and be on my way. You folks have a nice day.” Dr. Fischer hastily grabbed my file from his desk and bolted out of his office, leaving the three of us to contemplate the life changing move I had just conducted in a matter of seconds.  

“Are you sure you want to go through with this, Amani?” my mother inquired coldly.
“Yes, Mom, it’s what I want.” My dad grunted at my persistence.
“Then I’m afraid this is ‘Goodbye!’, Amani. I have absolutely no desire to have an unreasonable perfectionist living under my roof. Your father and I surely won’t miss you or your obnoxious ways a bit, so don’t bother staying in contact. I’m ashamed to know that you’re the result of eighteen years of dedication and hard work.”    


And that was that. My mother was unfortunately true to her word and I was in a cab to Barnacle Bay that afternoon. Thankfully, she hadn’t just thrown me out on the street. She gifted me the key to a summer home I had no knowledge of and sent me on my merry way.
So here I am, Amani Vista, ready to start a life with the little that I have. A life of balance and harmony.

22 comments:

  1. Aw, poor Amani! ...all my family (except me) have OCD and it seriously annoys me *rolls eyes*
    Second day of my summer holidays and I spent half of it cleaning my room. >_<
    Oh well....
    <3333 this story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and that's my factual opinion ;)
    Lol, I just had to say that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. XD
    I'm glad you like it so far Emma!
    Ew, well go have fun! I'm sure you deserve it!
    Ah, and that made me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problemo.
    Yes, I will have fun!! Been to this place in France twice now, both times with both parents. This time it's just gonna be me, my bro Andydrew (that ain't his name....i just luv saying that!!) and my mother ^.^
    Yay! I love making people smile!!! :)
    Aw, I'll miss you those 10 days when I'm away!!! ....enjoy the peace and quiet while I'm gone!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy! Have a blast! :D
    I love smiling, so it all works out! x]
    I'll miss you too, Emma! :3
    You'll enjoy yourself though! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will ^.^
    Who doesn't love smiling?? =D
    Oh, and I posted something on my blog: http://brilldocsstories.blogspot.com/2011/07/different-beware-is-very-random.html
    Gotta go now, byeeeeee!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great start! Her parents are such jerks, oh well she is way better off anyway :) can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tinker: Thanks! ^-^
    I know, I feel bad for her...

    @Emma: Re-responded! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, glad ya understand. Hey, can you see a njand cycle 3 thread on the forums, cos' i created one but now its gone!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had to totally rewrite it on my iPod as my mother won't let me near my computer. Glad I at least emailed the banners to myself so I can access them on here!!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol XD
    Well, I signed up! And I'm very exicted! ^-^
    I'm also interested to see how this goes considering this will be my 6th competition, all at once... O.O

    ReplyDelete
  12. 6!!!???!!?!,!?!!!?!!?!! Lol, I can barely manage 2!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah... I'm not sure how I'm going to do this! XD
    Thank God it's summer, that's all I can say!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so OCD about the strangest things... Although, everyone's a little OCD about something. >.<
    I like it :3 I shall be lurking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. XD
    You're so right!
    Cool, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. XD oh my gosh, I feel so bad for her already, but must I say the story already is holding my attention, and off I go to read the other chapters ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. :D
    Yeah, Amani isn't all that lucky in the beginning... Or in the middle... pretty much in the end too. XD
    Can't wait to see what you think of the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that was a great start I am gonna actually take the next hour or so to catch up! :)

    ReplyDelete