Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Generation 1 Chapter 2: Amani Vista


“Albany, he’s so sweet! We’ll all get along great, I’m sure of it!” I coaxed. 
“I don’t know Amani, I mean; you met him at the laundromat. It’s not exactly the most appealing place to meet people. Didn’t someone like get killed there? Or was that just an episode of C.S.I.?” Albany contemplated. Brock had asked to hang out today, and I surprised myself by suggesting we should spend the day at my place. Needless to say, I spent the entire morning before work cleaning.
Albany noticed how antsy I was throughout the work day and was finally able to squeeze the truth out of me. She explained why she thought I was making a mistake of meeting with Brock, but when I shrugged off her warnings she stubbornly got in my carpool and followed me home. So here we are, me trying to explain to my boss why I think it’s okay for me to hang out with a man who I let borrow my fabric softener, and my boss declining every optimistic possibility I think of.
Blah.    


“I’m just saying! For all we know he could be a mass murderer!” Albany concluded.
“Would you just give it a rest? At least give the guy a-!” Before I could finish my accusation, the doorbell chimed. “It’s him!”
“Fine, but don’t blame me when we’re all standing around your coffin…” I decided to let that one slide.  


“Amani!” Brock cheered, enveloping me in a hug.
“Hey, Brock!” I exclaimed, returning the hug. “Come in!” I strutted over to a table with hand sanitizer and generously lathered my hands. “I hope you don’t mind, but another friend of mine decided to stop by, too. Her name’s Albany, we work together. Well, actually, she’s my boss.”
“Any friend of yours is a friend of mine!” That was cheesy… But still, at least he’s more optimistic than some people. Ahem.


“Hi, you must be Albany! I’m Brock; it’s a pleasure to meet you!”
A huge grin developed on Albany’s face, “H-hi.”  
It ended up being a phenomenal afternoon; the three of us were getting along perfectly! We concluded the evening by calling ourselves a trio, and we promised each other to get together again soon.
Maybe things won’t be too bad in this coastal town after all.  


“So, do you maybe wanna go to a bar or something tonight? After work?” Albany questioned. She and I have been having these chats every morning before work for a while now.
“I don’t know. Why?” I asked while pulling on my pants.
“To celebrate! Duh!” I was silent; I was completely oblivious to whatever she was talking about. “Oh, shoot! I so just gave that away didn’t I?” 
“Albany, what are you-?”
“I guess I’ll just have to tell you now…”
“Tell me what?!” Sheesh, the girl sure knows how to draw out suspense. 


“You’re getting a promotion today!”
“A promotion?! Already? You can’t be serious!”
“You’ve honestly blown us away these past few weeks, it’s the least we can do. Besides, you deserve it!”
“Yes.”
“Huh?”
“Yes, let’s celebrate! We’ll go out straight after work!”
“That’s the spirit, girl! Well, I’ll see you at the meeting. And act surprised when I announce it, will you?”
“You got it!”


“You want something to drink?” Albany looked like a kid in the candy store when we stepped into that bar, her eagerness was almost laughable. 
“Nah, I think I’m good.”
“Fine, suit yourself.” I watched her practically skip off to the bar and order a drink, while I decided to head out on the dance floor for a little bit. Albany soon joined me, drink in hand, and the two of us were dancing like nobody was watching.  That night must’ve been the most fun I’ve had in months! 


“You know who I think’s cute?” Albany confessed after her fourth drink.
“Who?” I asked, the two of us taking a seat on a nearby couch.
“Brock! He’s so dreamy…” Albany slurred before releasing an immense burp. 
“Really?”
“Mhmm.” 


Once I dropped Albany off at her house (you seriously didn’t think I was going to let her drive herself home, did you?), I came home and called Brock.
“Hey. You’ll never guess who has a crush on you!”
“Who?” 
“Albany! You should totally ask her out!”
“I don’t know, Amani…”


“Oh, come on! What’s the worst that can happen?”
“It’s just, I don’t like her that way. I think of her as a great friend, like you.”
“At least give her a shot.”
“No, Amani. I don’t like her like that. And I don’t want to lead her on.”
“Fine,” I sighed, hanging up.
Boys.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! But you might want to consider to change the color of the menu where you can pick a chapter - red on dark orange is not really readable. But it is a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess! :3
    I'll definitely consider changing it! Thanks for letting me know! ^_^

    ReplyDelete