Sunday, September 18, 2011

Generation 1 Chapter 13: Amani Vista

 
After handling Bee during her toddler years, Concord and I had a basic system worked out on how to handle teaching life skills to kids with learning disabilities. Unfortunately, our method turned out not to be a “one size fits all” type of thing, and we were back to square one with Aiden. Concord decided to tackle talking first, and I left him to do whatever he felt necessary in that department. But whenever Concord attempted to get Aiden to form the simplest word, he’d just look up with his big eyes and guilt Concord into letting him play with Riddle some more.
It’s not my fault he’s a softie.

 
We recently purchased a costume chest for Bee to use to her little heart’s content, and I must admit, I’m having fun just watching her! She absolutely adores the princess outfit, and it’s great to see her finally playing something that doesn’t involve her doll, Tubby. She’s too attached to that thing, in my opinion. It just can’t be healthy for a girl her age.

 
Speaking of age, it has most definitely taken its toll on both Concord and I, which is to be expected, no one can stay perfectly young forever. Thankfully, I was still able to successfully conceive despite my additional years, and the entire family has been buzzing with excitement. Albany was particularly thrilled about this pregnancy, too, as she had discovered not all that long ago that she was expecting as well! What greater joy is there than being pregnant at the same time as your best friend?  

 
Amanda’s grown up quite a lot lately, too, maturing before our very eyes. She’s developed a new hobby, literature, and I’m certainly not complaining. She’s either plopped in front of the computer, typing away at her latest novel, or curled up in a ball reading the Harry Potter series.

 
The girls have been getting along great, playing make believe with their dolls and just enjoying the life of sisterhood. Of course, there’s the occasional quarrel, but that’s nothing we can’t handle. I just hope the two of them will always be this close!

 
My craving for apples from Aiden’s pregnancy has failed to go away, which I’m thinking is hopefully a good sign. Perhaps apples equal boys in the world of fertility? Who knows…  

 
Carrying this child has been excessively stressful, the back pain has been unbearable and the nausea has not been treating me kindly. Therefore, I’ve been left with that dirty internal feeling that I know so well from previous experiences. Maybe you just didn’t drink enough last time, my subconscious encouraged. I stared at the bottle of detergent in front of me, eyeing it as if it were mimicking me in the most sinister of ways. What? Are you chicken, Amani? Come on, you know it’ll work. You just know it.
So I took a swig, and I instantaneously knew my body was cleansed.
And I started early on in the pregnancy, too, early enough to maybe take a small drink every few weeks. That’ll make for a healthy baby, right?
Of course it will!  

 
Once Aiden finally had a basic understanding of talking, it was my turn to teach him how to walk. Whenever I’d let go of his hands to give him a chance to try it out for himself though, he’d grip onto my fingers for dear life, thinking it was hysterical to watch me get frustrated.

 
You may think that with three children and another one on the way, intimacy may be a rare site between the two of us. But nope, Concord and I do our best to set aside some time for just the two of us! The kids think it’s gross, but they’ll understand how important communication is in a relationship once they’re older.

 
For Bee’s thirteenth birthday we had a small party at the house, something that concerned both Concord and I. Our little girl was becoming a teenager, and not once had she ever brought up the subject of a friend, or even meeting anyone at school. Instead, she goes on and on for hours about Tubby.
Yes, the doll. 

 
Bee ended up taking after good old me. Her facial structure was exactly like mine, as were her eyes. But she had Concord’s gorgeously colored hair. What scared me the most was how she started wearing makeup… She really was getting older!

 
Things weren’t smooth sailing from that point on, like with many (if not all…) teenagers. Bee was ecstatic that Tubby was “growing up with her” and how he was always “right by her side whenever she needed him”. Her newly acquired actions started to scare Concord and I, and we weren’t exactly sure how to handle the situation.
After a while though, we noticed she started to tone it down a little bit. Plus, Tubby wasn’t anywhere to be found, Bee must’ve come to her senses and donated the doll to a charity or something.

 
Just when we thought everything was resolved, we came to the conclusion that it was far from it. Bee started talking to herself, or at least that’s what is seemed like. However, she then explained that she was talking to Tubby. Now that caught us off card. One particular incident, though, happened to set Concord off:
“I’ll make my bed in a second, Dad. Tubby was just telling me this hilarious joke! Go on Tubby,” she smiled, turning her attention to the empty space next to him.
“I’ve had enough of all this Tubby talk, Bee! You’re 13 for crying out loud! Tubby doesn’t exist! He’s a doll! Get over it!” 
“Dad! Watch what you say! He’s right next to you! Gosh!” 
Concord glanced to his right, and then his left, before calmly answering, “Sweetie, there’s no one next to me. Now what do you say we just put all of this Tubby business behind us?”
“I knew you wouldn’t understand,” she choked, pushing past him as a tear slid down her cheek.

 
After a stressful day of cooperating with Aiden as we tried our hand at walking, I was thrilled to spend my evening in front of the TV. Concord was outside working on his latest sculpture, so I pulled out a bendy straw and decided to treat myself with some laundry detergent. It had been a long day, I certainly deserved it.

 
But just as Sarah went to tell Brad she was pregnant, (hey, with kids you miss out on all of your soaps!) Concord came inside looking for his wrench. I tried my best to appear completely oblivious to the bottle of laundry detergent on the side table next to me, but Concord took one glance at me and was immediately suspicious. Once he spotted the straw in the jug he put two and two together and soon understood perfectly what was going on. He looked away, covering his mouth in horror.

 
After that, we had a nice, lengthy chat. I spilt everything, why I was doing it, how long I’ve been drinking it, and anything else that I found to be of importance. Concord tried his best to be compassionate, but it was obvious he was gravely worried. He didn’t just let me off the hook though, that night he arranged an appointment with a therapist, as well as a few checkups with my doctor.


About a month before my due date, I went into an unnaturally uncomfortable labor… I knew my age would add a few extra roadblocks, but this just couldn’t be right.

10 comments:

  1. Here comes the baby! :O I'm worried for him though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! Here it comes! :D
    You definitely should be worried... O.O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no Amani what have you done??
    Great chapter Drew this really has me hooked :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH NO!!!! She is sipping on it like it's a coke. He handled the news well considering she was putting not only her life in danger but that of the baby as well. I hope everything turns out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know. D:
    Concord did his best to stay calm, he knew things wouldn't be smooth sailing when he married a girl with OCD. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great chapter and Tubby is real! I saw him so he must be real! I hope the detergent thing works out for Amani too heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! <3
    Yup, Tubby's well on his way to being real! ^_^
    Me too, thankfully Concord seems to have things under control :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, I hope that drinking the detergent won't affect the baby.

    ReplyDelete